Tuesday 19 April 2011

Italy’s linguistic obsession with cabbages

 

 

Yes you read it right. The Italian language appears to be full of idioms using the word cabbage. Cabbage, out of all of the words/objects/food they could have chosen, they focus on cabbages!

Here are a few of the bizarre, yet amusing uses of our green friend.

 

 

Non capire un cavolo – To not understand a cabbage – To not understand a thing

Non me ne importa/me ne frega un cavolo – I don’t care a cabbage – I don’t give a damn

Fatti i cavoli tuoi! – Mind your own cabbages – Mind your own business

Sono cavoli miei! – They’re my cabbages – That’s none of your business

Sono cavoli tuoi! – They’re your cabbages – That’s your problem

Col Cavolo! – With the cabbage – Like hell I will!/No way!/Fat chance.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahaha, I'm Italian, and It's true! :)

    ReplyDelete