Tuesday 19 April 2011

DJ Clive’s Speak Easy Road Show

On Friday the school went to the cinema for two hour English teaching show.

The teachers have been going on about how amazing the show is and what a great teacher this “DJ Clive” is, so I was pessimistically expecting it to be pretty poor.

I was surprised at how much the kids and I enjoyed it.

So DJ Clive is a “professor” on Radio Monte Carlo. He teaches people English using popular music. I had the pleasure of meeting him before the show and he was the typical English gentleman. I was a bit concerned about his age though. He is in his golden years. I couldn’t imagine the children finding someone the same age as their grandparents cool.

The show was very simple. He told us a story using songs. Most of the songs were very current (California Girls- Katy Perry, Love the way you lie – Eminem feat. Rihanna) which kept us all interested. He would show us a few lines, explain what they meant in Italian, play the track and then move onto the next bit of the story, next song etc. It all flowed well. He also asked the children questions and gave out prizes. It was all very simple but highly effective.

Basically it was a lot of fun and it got me thinking of what a great technique it is for teaching English. English learners are so lucky with the vast amount of English they are in contact with on a day to day basis. I would love to do something similar to what he is doing in the future. I think it would be great fun. I only wish it was this simple to learn foreign languages in Britain. We aren’t really in contact with anything other than English. I guess that’s why we need to make the most of our year abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment