Thursday 10 March 2011

No pancakes for me this year

Not only did I miss pancake day 2011 but I also managed to miss the opportunity to post about it. Better late than ever.

Shrove Tuesday was this week. While Italy was busy celebrating Carnevale, everyone back in the UK were busy stuffing their faces with pancakes. Pancake day, as we seem to have renamed it, is that one day of the year where it is acceptable to each as many pancakes as you like. I usually eat mine with lemon juice and sugar, but eating them with Nutella or jam is just as tasty. 

I was very very jealous reading all of the statuses about pancakes on facebook. It reminds me of how I felt during bonfire night. I’ve always took these British traditions for granted and now that I’m away from home I realise that I actually really enjoy them. That’s the sacrifice you have to make I guess. I may be missing out on my own traditions and festivals but I’m gaining new ones. Carnival, Christmas Markets, Sebastian Vettel’s win and homecoming, 150 years of Italian unity (next week) to name a few.

Yes it’s worth waiting an extra year for pancake day, I’ll just make sure I eat double the amount of pancakes next year to make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment