Saturday 5 March 2011

Naples: The city of broken umbrellas

What a lot of rain we’ve had these week. As my host mother has been saying “I must feel right at home”. We’ve even had two thunder storms. This isn’t the weather I was expecting, but I’m luckier than my friend in Forlì who had to put up with Snow.

My poor 3.50euro umbrella from German drugstore DM has been taken a bashing this week and it’s really on its last legs. Normally I would be embarrassed about walking down the street sporting a lopsided brolly but I’m actually not a minority. About half of the people I saw today were holding an umbrella that was broken in some way or another. It seems that the Neapolitans just don’t understand the art of holding umbrellas OR they do not waste their money investing in a decent one as in theory they don’t really need it THAT often. Either way there were plenty of street salesmen ready to sell a new more “reliable” umbrella to desperate pedestrians.

I’m sticking with mine for the moment as I’m more concerned with my broken 7euro boots haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment