Saturday 19 March 2011

Where did all the kids go?

I turned up to school today to find almost all of the classrooms empty.

“Typical“ I thought, finding that 3E, my first class of the day, were missing. “They’ve gone on another trip without telling me.”

One of the teachers catches me in the hallway and tells me that my mentor is waiting in the staffroom for me. I was shocked when I saw just how many teachers were in the staffroom. I was very confused.

“No one is here” my mentor said. “They all think it’s a school holiday”.

It turns out no more than 20 pupils turned up today. The rest of them either thought it was a holiday or that there was a strike on (as was the class in the local school in Soccavo).

It was pretty funny. I just hung out in the staffroom for a few hours learning some Italian swear words. All in a days work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment