Tuesday 8 March 2011

To say grace or not to say grace?

Last night I had dinner at one of Italian friend’s house.

There was a very awkward moment, for me at least, where the family all sat around the table and said grace very loudly, in Italian of course, and made the movements of a cross twice.

I didn’t join in. It all happened so fast. Part of me felt obliged to join in out of respect but on the other hand I’m not a Catholic and they know this and I was worried that I may have looked like I was just doing it for the fun of it which would have been disrespectful.

I know that I’m just worrying over nothing but I hate awkward moments. To make it worse I didn’t finish my pasta, rejected the offer of bread and cheese (I accidently told the mum that I didn’t like cheese…what?) and then when she gave me the dessert there were at least 4 hairs/ black fluff in it. She caught me picking them out.

I wonder if I’ll get invited round there for dinner again? :S

No comments:

Post a Comment