Wednesday 23 March 2011

Fried Pizza?

Today I met up with one of my tutees in the afternoon.

I met her at the opera house. She works there and gave me a sneaky free tour. It was so beautiful. Unfortunately I’d forgotten my camera, but here’s a photo I found on Wikipedia.

File:San carlo panoram.JPG

Supposedly it is Italy’s oldest working opera house. I love it. I hope I can watch a show there before I leave.

She took me to a pizzeria in the historical centre (centro storico) of naples. I tried a fried pizza, sounds disgusting but was actually rather tasty. Again apologies for lack of photo. But let me tell you it was huge, as is most Neapolitan food.

We then went for a walk around the historical centre and the university area. I went into two of the buildings. One of very grand, the other looked like an unloved train station, complete with escalators. I’m quite glad that I am not at uni here. It all seems very very confusing.

We walked for ages, but it was worth it because I was able to see parts of the city that were hiding. We also went to a small art museum, Museo Cappella Sansevero, where there was a famous sculpture of Christ and two artistic skeletons.  At 5 euro a ticket I feel that it was a waste of money, but I guess if you are a big fan of art then it’s worth it.

I also had my first ever legitimate Italian gelato. I had a scoop of Snickers. It was ginormous. I’m glad I didn’t ask for two.

I’m really glad M invited me out. She’s lovely. I hope that I can speak Italian as well as she speaks English by the end of my time here. I need to work very hard. Practice makes perfect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment