Monday 21 February 2011

The crazy Neapolitans

I decided to go out on my unexpected day off and take some photos of the city, during my time in the centre I encountered more crazy Neapolitans.

1. La donna che canta: I was waiting for the Cumana at Soccavo train station and a lady came and stood next too me. At first I thought she was just talking to herself loudly, but the more I listen the more I realised that she was making no sense. Finally it clicked, she was “singing” very loud but very unemotionally, along with her ipod. But the reason why it was making no sense was that she was only singing a few words per line. A lot of people were staring at her but she seemed oblivious to it all.

2. L’uomo con l’anatra: It’s not unusual for beggars to have pets especially dogs. In fact my favourite is the man in Nuremburg who dresses up both himself and his little canine friend to entertain us with a bit of light hearted entertainment (the Christmas themed costumes were my favourite). However the man I saw today takes the cake. Check this out:

P1030101

Your eyes do not deceive you, that is a duck! You can’t see so much from this photo but the man’s duck was actually rather fat, in fact probably the fattest duck I’ve ever seen. So “homeless man” you want me to believe that you need my money when you obviously have enough funds to feed your dog and duck, who must get fed very well considering the size of him, and to buy a rug and water bowl for the two. Seriously?

3. Il nonno con la penna: There is a lot of graffiti in Naples, but that’s nothing really new to me as Germany was the same. What is new to me though is walking past a man old enough to be my granddad and spotting him defacing a poster with a ballpoint pen!

4. Il cantante che non parla inglese: In Germany I was always in awe at how well the buskers could sing in English. They really sounded legitimate. The same cannot be said for the man singing in the Metro station this afternoon. He was singing a rendition of “can’t get no satisfaction” by The Rolling Stones only his version went “’cause I CRY, and I CRY, and I CRY and I CRY….I can get through, satixfashow.” Bless him.

Well those are the bunch of nutters I met today. I’m looking forward to meeting some more tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment