Tuesday 30 November 2010

ROC Race of Champions Sunday 28th November 2010 [Edit:Now including Video]

It’s been a few days now since I went to watch ROC in Dusseldorf and now that I finally have a few minutes spare I thought I’d recap on what was an amazing event.
Doors opened at the Esprit arena at exactly 12 o'clock, there was a fenced off area just P1020108 through the gates where you queued for less than minute and could have a look at some of the cars. Inside the arena had a quick look around for any stalls selling merchandise, there were a few ROC stalls and people giving out VW flags and Nürburgring key chain straps. We sat down about 12.30 and watched Vettel’s world championship winning car doing a test run of the circuit. (I’m not entirely sure if it was Vettel or someone else in the car. From the helmet I think no, but I could be wrong). The car was a little too big and much too fast for the track and he did crash into the wall a few times. Bless him.
There were a few “exhibitions” before the race itself began. This included a rather mediocre cheerleading display from the ROC Grid girls, who may I add
P1020195
must of been freezing. As well as an impressive Red Bull motorbike stunt show. I’m not a big fan of motorbikes, I think they are very very dangerous, and I was very scared watching them flying through the air but I actually did enjoy it. 
The first race was Heikki Kovalainen against Sebastien Loeb. Loeb won but seconds, if not even that, after the cars crossed the finish line Kovalainen crashed into the barrier and took a considerable amount of the track with him. He didn’t race again after than that, although no reason was given. I found out today though that his Beifahrer (passenger) was his girlfriend and that she had to be taken to hospital to be treated for concussion, so I’m pretty sure that’s the reason. Nevertheless it was a shame, because I was quite looking forward to seeing him race a bit more.
While the track was being mended stunt driver Terry Grant kept us entertained with some “donuts”. This video will explain more:

The rest of the races were not AS dramatic. Although over high points was the race with Schumacher (I don’t remember who he was racing) but the other guy gave up and drove into the exit halfway through the race. The audience were confused, the stewards were confused, Schumacher was confused. Another race full of high excitement was the quarter final of Schumacher versus Vettel. It was very close. Vettel was leading on lap one, then Schumacher, then it was neck and neck and they final lap..YES! Vettel beat the 7 time world champion. Unfortunately this was followed by a very low point, as Vettel was P1020329 unexpectedly knocked out of the semi final by Filipe Albuquerque (who went on to win ROC, beating Sebastien Loeb) The whole arena went silent as Albuquerque crossed the line ahead of our hero Vettel. I can’t even begin to explain how big Vettel is here in Germany at the moment. He is the national icon of the moment. The country worships him. But fair play to the Germans, they didn’t boo the Portuguese driver, instead they gave him a well deserved round of applause. 
So what was my favourite part? Without a doubt it was during the break when Vettel came out in his F1 car. This time there was no crashing or getting the car stuck. He drove like a pro and it not only looked amazing, it sounded fantastic. I’m not going to lie, I found it a little bit arousing. (*^-_^*) However Sebastian, as an asthmatic, I did not really appreciate the blanket of dust that you whipped up into the air. But I’ll forgive you this once. :)

P1020302 P1020312
So yes, it lived up to my expectations, if not more. I would recommend anyone who has a chance to go in the future to do so. Even if you are not a big motorsport fan, it is a really good day out and you really do get to see the drivers and cars up close. I’ll leave you guys with a pic of Vettel and Schumi each. ☆
P1020215P1020218
I

No comments:

Post a Comment