Tuesday 23 November 2010

Intergrating with German Students, my struggle continues.

I think it's fair to say that one of the aims of the year abroad is to have contact with the natives. It's the undoubtedly the best way to improve your language and cultural understanding and the contacts you make could come in very useful in the future.
Now I know that I am not the only one who has been having trouble making friends, or even speaking to, my German classmates. In fact 95% of the people I speak to have told me that they are experiencing the same problem. However as I am fast approaching the halfway point of my Year Abroad in Germany, I really feel that I need to step up my game and get some German friends.
I decided that the best bet was to tackle the people in my one and only seminar. Seminars are smaller and the people do enjoy a good chat as we wait outside the classroom. I have an American friend in the Seminar, we are the only foreigners, and I do notice that we segregate ourselves from the group by waiting at the otherside of the corridor and speaking English (something that I HATE). So I asked my friend today if we could stand with the group and maybe try to get to know them. "No" she said.
I could have gone and talked to the Germans by myself, but I didn't. I regret it and I hope that next week I'll be stronger, more independent and do what I want to do. I have a week to prepare myself and fingers crossed I'm successful because I'm really running out of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment