Friday 5 November 2010

Eating out is cheap…but how do boys eat so much and stay so skinny

 

One of the biggest perks of living in Marburg is that eating out is very very günstig (cheap/good value for money). In most places a substantial main meal can cost less than €5. The reason is probably because most places to eat are restaurant bars, so they make most of their money from drinks rather than the food. Drinks are NOT cheap, unless you only drink beer. Since Germany is the land of beer, I guess it is fair that it is cheaper to drink than in the UK, but it is robbery when I have to pay over €3 for a coke when my friend has a much larger quantity of beer for more than half the price! Despite the food being cheap, you still receive a very large meal. Me and my American friend learnt this on our first of many Sunday evening eat-out sessions, where we assumed that a €4.90 pizza would be tiny and thus bought a €2 portion of chips to share as a starter. We finished the chips but ended up leaving most of our pizzas.  

Tonight me and my male friend, who is visiting me at the moment, went out for dinner. We ended up with FOUR plates between us. The waitresses originally only gave us half of what we had ordered because they did not believe that me and him (the skinny little thing he is) could possibly have also ordered a huge plate of nachos and equally gigantic plate of chips. It was true, and all though we struggled, we were adamant to finish all four plates just to see the looks of shock on the staff’s faces. I do have to admit that it was mostly him who was victorious in this battle, as I only managed to eat about a 1/6. How he ate it all, I have no idea. I wasn’t surprised that he did, as I’ve seen him put away a whole KFC family bucket before, but to look at him you’d never know. I hate men, especially Asian men. How dare you keep all of these eternally skinny genes to yourselves. Please share them with us women.

P1010685

(From bottom left going round anti-clockwise: Chips with mayo and ketchup, salad, Chicken curry with rice and more salad, nachos with cheese and salsa.)

No comments:

Post a Comment