Thursday 16 June 2011

Discovering Pompei and licking a bit of William and Kate in Sorrento

Spoiler: Be sure to check out the photos below to understand the slightly kinky title ;)

The original plan was to go to Capri on the Thursday and Pompei on the Friday, as I assumed Capri would be busier nearer the weekend. However the weather did not look promising at all on Thursday and we decided to bite the bullet and go to Capri on the Friday.

Now I couldn’t leave Naples without having been to Pompei. It would have been silly to miss out on something so culturally important which is literally right on my door step. It didn’t disappoint. It’s a hard-core place to visit, with all of it’s walking and getting lost in the rows upon rows of street, but you really get an insight into Roman Europe. It didn’t feel like you were walking in an archaeological site, but an actual town. It was all just very very surreal.

The only think that left me unsatisfied was that I couldn’t find the casts of the volcano victims, but we weren’t the only ones. Supposedly there are a few in the national archaeological museum in Naples, so if I end up having time (which I won’t haha) I will visit there to quench my thirst.

We left Pompei around 3pm so I suggested we take the Circumvesuviana line to Sorrento. I’d already been to Sorrento with my parents and although it’s not the most exciting place, it is rather charming, with stunning views and they do have an amazing gelateria there.

So that’s what we did. We walked around, took some photos, bought some ice cream, looked in some shops and went back to Naples. Unfortunately we couldn’t take the ferry home like I’d done with my parents because the last ferry had already left. That night I took my boyfriend to Mergellina where we ate in a very cosy restaurant with a very funny waiter named Antonio.

P1040373

^ Pompei

P1040454

^ Sorrento

P1040457

^William and Kate Ice Cream! What a flavour!  Tastes delicious, but it sounds so awkward when you order it.

P1040458

^ Sorrento is very proud of their lemons. I can see why! Hugest lemons ever!

P1040459

^ For all of those British tourists who can’t stand Italian food, or shall we say, HAVE NO TASTE.

P1040460

^My boyfriend’s seafood dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment