Thursday 3 February 2011

KOKOWÄÄH

Today was my fourth and probably final trip to the cinema in Germany. Apart from Goethe! which I saw back in October tonight’s movie was the only other German film I’ve seen here.
I was very excited to see the movie, KOKOWÄÄH, simply because of Til Schweiger. I became a fan of his work in 2008 when I purchased one of his DVD’s, wo ist Fred?, simply because it was on the shelf next to Goodbye Lenin. The second reason why I was excited to see it was because his daughter co-stars in it. I was really intrigued to see whether or not she’d inherited her father’s unique style of acting. The little cutie didn’t let me down.
The movie was very very enjoyable. The plot, without giving too much away, revolves around film writer Henry, Til Schweiger, who is suddenly burdened with 8 year old Magdalena, Emma Schweiger, his suspected his daughter. Henry is a bit of a ladies man and has no desire to have kids in the future. (It a pretty generic plot for these long lost kid showing up at your door movies). The twist is that Emma already has a “father” who is battling with himself over his feelings for a child that is not his.The relationship between the two fathers is not as tense as expected  and it makes for some funny viewing. Although nothing can beat the comedy between Henry and Magdalena. As I’d hoped the two Schweigers have an amazing on screen chemistry.
My only complaint about the movie is that at times I felt that the comedy was overdone. There were a bit too many “funny bits” thrown in when they really weren’t necessary, which ruined the plot a little. I think they could have simply kept Henry and Magdalena as the two comedians. In my opinion that would had opened up a whole knew level to the movie by the two sharing a bond of a comedic personality that the other characters do not possess.
Haha I think I’m starting to ramble on now. I apologise. But please check out the movie either in cinemas, if you’re in Germany, or keep an eye out for the DVD. It really was a great movie.
Here’s the trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment