Friday 5 November 2010

Remember remember the 5th of November

 

Remember, Remember the 5th of November

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I see now reason why gunpowder, treason

Should ever be forgot.

 

Today is the 5th of November, Guy Fawkes night, up and down England tonight and last/next weekend there will be beautiful firework displays, fairgrounds and bonfires. People will come together each holding a sparkler in a frozen gloves hand, the other hand holds and umbrella because it is raining, as it always does in England.

I don’t usually make too much of a fuss of Guy Fawkes night but I have to admit that I am really missing it here. I travel a lot at night here, and the sky is eerily quiet for the end of October, beginning of November. I keep expecting to hear a whooshing, screeching sound somewhere in the distance, and then I search of ages trying to pin point the firework’s location. I miss that sudden burst of excitement when you finally see the firework lighting up the night sky.

I miss fireworks and bonfires and the Guy Fawkes rhyme. But with the absence of an English tradition, comes a uniquely German tradition. I may not have my firework night but in just a few weeks time I will be able to visit many, equally beautiful Christmas Markets.

~~ Every cloud has a silver lining ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment