Saturday 14 May 2011

The word pollice restoring my faith in the imperial system.

Today I learnt the word pollice. At first I thought it was a miss spelling of “police” but thanks to wordreference.com I discovered that it actually means “thumb”.

But what is even more interesting is that it also means…”inch”.

Now this isn’t headline worthy news, but for me it finally backs up a claim that I had been making for years – That an inch is the size of your thumb.

I say “had been” because a few years ago I realised that although this claim was true when I was taught it in reception class, at 17 years of age my thumb was considerably longer than before and thus my concept of an inch was completely over exaggerated.

No wonder I used to laugh in disbelief at boys who bragged about having a 12inch…….

No comments:

Post a Comment