Tuesday 10 May 2011

Fourth Year Option Form Sent

I hate choosing options.

The thing I hate about it, is that no matter how much thought you put into it there is always the chance that you can be allocated a unit which you don’t want to do. I don’t know about other unis but mine has a strict policy on changing class. Once your class/unit has been allocated you can only change if there is a timetable clash.

The second thing I hate is that even after they have allocated you your units, even after you have bought the books on the reading list and started your preliminary reading, even after the first day of university has began….the school office can move you without warning into a different class! This happened to me last year and I was most upset. I had just spent £60 on books and was really looking forward to study some linguistics (which I didn’t get the chance to study at all last year thanks to the move). I did love my unit they moved me into, and luckily it was my second choice, but that’s not the point.

The third thing I hate is the lack of variability, especially this year. Thanks to our Dean of Arts, we have lost one of our strongest and most versatile academics which has left us with a poor selection of unit choices. Our history units now only go as far back as the late 19th century and for god knows what reason we have no literature this year (unless you count “German Sonnets”). Where’s Faust!

Numbering my units from 1-10 was a tiresome process and I pray that I get my first choices because I literally hate all of the other units. At least this year, in theory, we only have to wait 9 days to find out our allocations in comparison to the 6 weeks we had to wait in 2009. I say in theory because the School of Modern Languages has never, in my whole time at university, met a deadline for the publication of anything.  

At least I have one less thing to worry about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment