Wednesday 27 October 2010

My German haircut

 

It took a lot of bravery and self persuasion but I went and got my first haircut in Germany. I went to a little hairdressing salon called hair killers on my friend’s recommendation. The salon was a little unconventional. You needed to take a ticket and wait your turn, rather than book an appointment. I was lucky to only need to wait 10mins, my friend had to wait over an hour last week. I was really nervous about getting it done because I could of easily ended up agreeing to getting my hair shaved off with my lack of hairdressing vocabulary. Luckily my hair is nice. She didn’t cut it exactly how I asked her too, its shorter and has more layers, but it was much cheaper than a cut in the UK which sets me back £22, in Marburg it was just €13.

I really enjoyed just walking into the salon and getting my haircut then and there. I’m quite impatient so having to wait weeks to get my haircut, when my fringe is already poking me in the eyes, really gets on my nerves.

Overall a fairly successful day.   

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    I've really enjoyed reading your blog - you write so well! You seem to have had an amazing time so far on your year abroad, I'm very jealous that you're in Germany while I'm stuck here in London :) I spent my year abroad in Florence a couple of years ago and since then have been setting up a website www.ThirdYearAbroad.com to help students plan and make the most of their time away - we've got a 'when you're back' section to help with multilingual job hunting too, but we only launched a couple of months ago so we're working on getting a lot more information on there.

    I was wondering if you might be interested in writing a review of your time in Germany for us? Your best bits, what you would have done in hindsight, your most difficult experiences, useful websites, what you shouldn't have packed, your most useful local words, the difference it's made... Your insight would be invaluable - and of course we'd credit your work on the website.

    If this sounds interesting, please do send me an email at lizzie@thirdyearabroad.com and I can send you more information. In the meantime, if you get a second to check out the site I would LOVE to know what you think as it's only there for people like you and I'm longing to know what works and what doesn't.

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    Best wishes,

    Lizzie
    ThirdYearAbroad.com

    ReplyDelete