Thursday 19 August 2010

Money, money, money

My worry of the day is, as the title suggests, money. How will I access my bank account whilst I’m abroad? How much cash shall I take with me? Should I get a prepaid card? Will I be able to transfer money easily if I do not have internet access?

I've spent the day researching different types of prepaid cards. Originally I was going to use the “Escape Travel Money Euro Card” as suggested to my mother by Phones4U. Luckily just before I pressed the confirm button on my online application, I read the terms and conditions. Thank God I did. Suddenly I was faced with a bunch of restrictions that I had not even considered. The card had an annual load limit of £650 and the maximum daily ATM withdrawal was a mere €188. I’m sure this card would be perfect if I was spending the week in Europe, but in reference to a year abroad, I have to deem it useless.

Nevertheless I really liked the prepaid card idea. I’m planning on withdrawing weekly a set amount of Euros from the ATMs and then using cash only to pay for whatever my heart desires (and the necessities). Alas my debit card does not like the idea of me withdrawing cash abroad and wants to hit me with ridiculous charges. Prepaid cards seem to be a lot more year abroad friendly. Anyway I came across two very tempting cards. The “Travelex Cash Passport” and the “Caxton fx  prepaid card”. Both cards seemed perfect and it was a struggle trying to decide between the two but after reading a handful of reviews I bit the bullet and ordered the Caxton card. It should be arriving in 7 working days, which is good since I’m leaving in 8. Oops. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment