Wednesday 20 October 2010

Orientation

Orientation seems a life time ago now, but I think it is important to blog about it for my own memory’s sake and also to inform others of the procedures.
Orientation in Marburg was a 4 day event from Wednesday 1st Sept-Saturday 4th. I arrived in Marburg on the first day of Orientation. The program started from 9am in the Milchbar (which is in the general mensa and administrative building. I arrived at 9.30 and found myself waiting in an hour long queue just to sign in and pay the 30€ participation fee. Everyone was given a 5€ breakfast voucher to use at the Bistro downstairs although many people, including myself, refused to leave the queue and thus missed out on a free breakfast.
  • Tip: Bring something to eat and drink in anticipation of the lange Schlange
When I finally arrived at the sign in desk, a copy of my passport was made and I was handed a white orientation folder with my name on it. Next to my name was a group number (I was in group 1). I was guided to group 1’s table where I sat with a few others and was guided through the filling out of some forms.
I remember not really understanding what I was exactly filling out (it later turned out to be forms for a months bus pass and forms to declare residency),but all I did know was that everyone else were able to fill out the address section except me. This really worried me because as far as I was aware we were not going to find out where we were living until today, yet no one had told me where I was living but had obviously told the others. Thus I started to doubt whether or not I had actually applied for somewhere to live and what the hell I was going to do if I hadn’t. What I didn’t know at the time was that a lot of people in my group , mostly from Taiwan and Japan, were in a different program and have arrived a week before thus they had received their keys 7 days prior to orientation.
  • Tip: Because of all the forms make sure you always have a pen, your passport, passport photos and plenty of cash.
I finally received my keys and then was taken in a mini bus to my accommodation.
The form filling and 5€ breakfast vouchers were everyday features of the program as was evening entertainment. The first night we were taken to a bar, the second was a party in the student run “club”  Schwarzweiss. On the Friday night one of our two group tutors took us to a sports bar to watch the football, Germany v Belgium. Saturday night was an even bigger party at Schwarzweiss to wrap everything up. Every group had to cook some food to take along and then lots of cheap alcohol was consumed. It was basically the highlight of the program.
Although the program isn’t necessary I would recommend it to people because a. it makes life a lot easier having people there to guide you through all of the painstaking processes that a new international student needs to go through, and b. it is a great way to make friends fast. The groups were very well mixed in terms of nationalities and programs of study. Without the program I most certainly wouldn’t have made the friendships that I have here in Marburg.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment