Thursday 23 June 2011

2 days until I go home: starting to get teary.

Today is the 23rd of June which means tomorrow I hit the 18th week mark of stay in Italy (my university’s minimum requirement) and the day after I’m flying home.

I can’t believe it. I’m in a state of shock.

I’m excited, god how I’m excited, to go home, see my family and friends, eat all of those food that I have been missing for so long………..the list could go on and on.

But I’m also sad.

I didn’t think I would feel sad until saying my proper goodbyes on Saturday, but it’s come early. I’m not sad to leave Naples, I think everyone knows that that, but I’m sad to leave behind some people who I’ve really come to care about.

It’s different to when I left Marburg. I left Marburg knowing that I would return and see everyone at least one more time. But I can’t promise that I will come back to Naples. I definitely want to come back to Italy, but my plan is to concentrate on the places I missed out on up north. Flying to Naples isn’t exactly cheaper either unless you fly from Stansted. There’s the chance I’ll see my mentor again. She loves London and hopefully she’ll let me know if she’s coming. The same with the teacher who I give private lessons too. In fact she has family in London, so there’s even more chance. But there is one special person who I might never see again. My host mum has been wonderful. She’s been generous, kind, supportive, caring. She’s made feel part of this family and I have to say that in these four short months a daughterly love inside of me has grown inside of me for her. She’s not in a financial position to travel, as a matter of fact, she’s never travelled outside of Italy in her life, so unless I come back…well that’s the end of that.

To quote the Biebs here, I’m never say[ing] never to coming back. I’d like to see more of the area, explore the other two islands, see the famous Amalfi coastline, but I don’t see it happening in the near future.

I thought I’d just get this all out before I go to bed. My room is a mess at the moment. Everything is on the floor. I’ve half packed. The next few days are going to go by so quick. Before I know it I’ll be at my friend’s 21st birthday party on Saturday night in a surreal daze, recalling all of my adventures during the 297 days of my year abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment